Vizuri is committed to publishing code and content that helps to advance the open source community. We are proud to share a new addition to our content library this week: 4 Recommendations for Evaluating OpenShift Consultants.
The following is an excerpt from that free guide, now available for download:
...we suggest that you evaluate for two separate skillsets for OpenShift: infrastructure and application. Our experience has demonstrated that both are important.
Infrastructure focuses on full automation for the installation in environments such as VMWare or AWS, using Ansible and related automation tools.
Infrastructure experts tend to have the following foundational skillsets:
- Fluency in Linux, Apache httpd, DNS, LDAP, PHP, Load Balancing, TCP/IP, Bind, and SMTP
- Familiarity with a scripting language such as Bash, Perl, Python or Ruby
- Experience with high availability infrastructure setups, particularly clustering and load-balanced production RHEL environments
- Experience in virtualization technologies such as KVM, RHEV, Vmware or Xen
It is worth noting that an OpenShift implementation should not involve a mere installation and configuration of OpenShift. To be able to fully manage and have visibility into your environment once it is setup, you also need implement a number of operations tools including monitoring, log aggregation (capable of Elastic, Splunk, SumoLogic), and identity management. As a result, the firm you choose needs to not only have OpenShift product experience but also experience with tangential tools like Ansible, CloudForms, monitoring, log aggregation, and identity management.
Application focuses on full implementation of CI/CD pipelines on the OpenShift platform. This includes the complete pipeline for building the application, packaging it into Docker containers, and deploying it into OpenShift environments.
Application experts are developers that have a strong software development background, and you want them to have the following skillsets:
- Experience with container platforms such as Kubernetes and OpenShift
- Experience building and deploying applications with Docker
To containerize your applications, your selected partner should have experience with your application stack. They should also have experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Nexus, Git, and Ansible.